Thursday, November 13, 2008

Dirty Me, Dirty Me, I'm Disgusted With Myself


(After dinner, the Taylors and the Darlings sit down to play music)

Andy: Come on, Mr. Darling. What'll it be?
Briscoe: Well, you pick it and I'll jug it.
Andy: How' bout, how ‘bout "Dirty Me, Dirty Me, I'm Disgusted With Myself"?
Briscoe: That one makes me cry.
It makes me cry, too. Today, on a break from work, I was browsing some "deal" sites on the internet. I found what appeared to be a great deal on a 42" LCD TV.

The thought that passed through myself was, "Wow! That's a great deal! We (my wife and I) could get that for ourselves for Christmas!" I clicked the link and arrived at the site, only to be completely disgusted by this image:


I'm no prude, and I do believe with Paul that God has given "us richly all things to enjoy". Yet I saw my own selfishness in the faces of the man and woman in this picture. Look at them? Are these the faces of people who were primarily motivated the 6th chapter of I Timothy?:
"Command those who are rich in this present age not to be haughty, nor to trust in uncertain riches but in the living God, who gives us richly all things to enjoy. Let them do good, that they be rich in good works, ready to give, willing to share, storing up for themselves a good foundation for the time to come, that they may lay hold on eternal life."
Willing to share? No, they appear to be speeding away from the only other people around.

Now, I'm not saying that those of you who have a 42" LCD TV are sinning by it--or even that I will never have one. I was blessed only recently by a big-screen viewing of the first of The Lord of the Rings movies where I was ministered to by another brother's willingness to do good works and share his home and time with me and others. If my desire to have a 42" LCD TV is ever so motivated, then perhaps I will reconsider.

To be fair, at least the guy in the picture is showing some kindness to his wife--pushing her around in a shopping card like that. I mean, I've never done that for my wife. And now as I look again, it would appear from the picture that he has passed the TV and is headed for the checkout with a stack of gifts for her!

Dirty me, dirty me. I'm disgusted with myself.

1 comment:

Ashley said...

You're not alone in this disgust, Ben. But, remember, there is a fountain open for sin and uncleanness! May we daily plunge ourselves in this fountain, and one day we will be once and for all rid of our selfish hearts.