Friday, October 24, 2008

The Nicolas Cage Button

I don't know how many drafts I've started here and abandoned. Several subjects have moved me to begin a post, but I have failed to go through with publishing any of them. Why is it so difficult to click that button?:


The button is certainly big enough. Due to the bright orange color I have no trouble seeing it. My mouse seems to be working just fine for all other similarly-sized buttons I have clicked to get this far. So why is this particular button giving me so much trouble?

Even now as I write about that button, I am wondering if this attempt will be any more successful than the previous ones. I can almost hear a voice in my head telling me that I am inadequate for this task. What task, you ask? Well... the voice doesn't specify. In particular, I think the voice is referring to the current task. I get the feeling that the owner of the voice would have the same opinion of my abilities toward any task, but he always only talks specifically about the current task. Of course... sometimes the current task is thinking about the next task. Anyway...

Whose voice is that? It sounds a bit like Nicolas Cage. Whoever he is, he has nothing but discouragement for me. And by the sound of it, I bring nothing but disappointment to him.

The good news is that there is another Voice. This Second Voice is a pleasant one. The Owner speaks much more positively regarding my situation and my possibilities of completing this task. Interestingly, He doesn't attempt to persuade me to think that the first voice was lying about my ineptitude. Instead, He calmly acknowledges much of what the first voice said, but then tells me that He will help me. He says that He wants me to complete the task as best I can, but even if I do mess things up He says He will make sure it all turns out alright in the end.

His is certainly a powerful Voice with much authority, yet much peace. I've been hearing Him for many years now and my only regrets are for the times when I didn't trust Him. I am determined that this will not be one of those times.

Now... Where's that big orange button? Take this, Nicolas Cage! [click]

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Great post, Ben! Knowing your true feelings about Nicolas Cage, I can see why you used his name :-)
And for the record, I think Mr. Cage is a GREAT actor. All joking aside, praise God for His voice that speaks authority and peace to His own. Keep on posting, brother!